Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Kindergarten Kid

Well, it's official. I lovingly packed her back pack, stocked her lunch box and dressed her in a cute outfit for day one of kindergarten. Check, Check, Check!


The short drive to the elementary school is usually only about 5 minutes, but yesterday? Man! It was a zoo to get on the main road, much less into the school parking lot. A policeman was directing traffic, along with many of the support staff at the school. This all in an area that doesn't usually have traffic issues, except for when a tractor is slowing down the cars behind him on the road to town.

Momma came along and helped with Cub, and as we finally got parked to go inside I thought Elizabeth might be getting a case of the jitters? If so, she sucked it up quickly and hopped out of the car. I had a case of the jitters, but decided if my little girl was gonna take it in stride, then I would (try) too!

EJ walked in the door and remembered which hallway to take all by herself... she followed the correct "color" on the floor right to her room. I only had a brief moment at the door to hug her and tell her "I love you - you are such a big girl!" before she was swept inside to color a cowgirl picture.... I could see all that because I looked in through the window. I must have looked like she sometimes does with my head pressed up to the window, looking inside with wide eyes to see what is going on. Except she usually makes faces at me when she is doing this, and sticks her tongue on the window... I wasn't that distraught.

She shed not one tear, and had a grin from ear to ear. I was a mess myself... I had tears streaming down my face as I turned to head back down the hall. It's not I don't want her to be there, not at all. It's just I am not so sure when she got old enough to be there.

As I looked around, I was comforted by the fact I wasn't the only one... it was if for a moment we Mommies had switched places with our kids. They were fine and dandy, being "big girls and boys" and trying something new. We Mommies were all crying in the hallway, trying to get a grip on things and not doing a great job at it.

Momma, Aunt Runelle, Cub and I went to Cracker Barrel to have breakfast after, partly to keep my mind off of it. Then we did a little antiquing (found nothing of interest) and came on home.

Cub needed a nap, so Momma stayed with him when I went to pick up EJ. As she came out the door for car riders I saw my sweet girl with that great ear to ear grin, obviously still loving her new school.

I got out of the car to open her door as she ran over to me. She held her arms up like she has since she was a baby, wanting Mommy to pick her up for a bear hug... she may be a big girl now... a kindergarten kid even... but she's still my sweet Elizabeth, my first baby, and such a part of my heart.

"Mommy! Mommy! Let me tell you what we did today!"

I am so proud of her!

*** I am participating on the Blog Train over at My Sweet Life with this post.... I'd post the cute train "button", but again, I am a technical dummy. Go check it out!

9 comments:

wfbdoglover said...

I think it was 2nd grade before I stopped crying on the first day of school.

Thanks for sharing your first day!

Unknown said...

She did good! And so did you! Now, how are you gonna keep Cub from trying to run into school with sissy?

Connie Krebs said...

Wow, school already?! That seems so early! Anyhow, you did a great job and survived... just think, it could be worse. She could be a teenager!

Mamajil said...

What a milestone! Y'all start earlier than the kids here. We have until the 18th. I am glad she had a good day!

Mamajil said...

What a milestone! Y'all start earlier than the kids here. We have until the 18th. I am glad she had a good day!

Tiaras and Timeouts said...

That was a great 1st day of school story~ I almost cried myself. I'm sorry to say that it doesn't seem to get any easier- I'm already sad about my oldest going to 1st grade and youngest to 3-yr preschool in a couple of weeks... But, we know they will be fine and we will, too!

Prasti said...

hi angela! thanks for visiting.

i think i would be a wreck when my daughter starts kindergarten (not another 3 yrs., thankfully). she sounded like she did great. i remember i had to have my mom stand right outside the door (where i could still see her) for the 1st week of kindergarten. pretty bad.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad she did well! You guys start so early we still have another month of summer!

HDMac said...

Oh... And don't they just seem to grow up in that first day when you leave them and kindergarten and then pick them up??? Oh mine are grown, but I remember every single one of them going their first day to kindergarten ... I cried after I left them.....