Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Loop and a Roll

Friday did not turn out to be my day. As I posted earlier that morning I felt like it was going to be one of those days... I couldn't have been more right on. The house was a mess, laundry went on forever, the kids were fussing and fighting, and every time I turned around someone was calling for "Mommy" with big ol tears running down their face. How do I explain to a 4 and a 2 year old to please just get along? I was so frustrated I wanted to cry.

And I did just that. It really did make me feel some better, but it scared my children, which is the last thing I wanted to do. Sometimes this whole motherhood thing takes me for a loop and a roll.

Then Momma called with an fantastic idea ... Diddy had called her to see if all of us might like to go out for supper - at The Olive Garden. My most favorite place to eat!

So, that evening we all met at the restaurant... Momma, Diddy, BB, Reynie, Geoff, the kids and myself. It was the perfect way to end a rather rough day in the life of this frazzled Mommy. It was wonderful to sit with my family and enjoy a great meal (I just love the salad and soup!), a few glasses of riesling (!) and just being with everyone.

Of course, when the kids decided it was fun to get up on the table it was time to go, but it had been such a nice night I almost didn't have the heart to discourage them. I'd fussed at them enough that day!

On Saturday I continued trying to clean up the house from my unsuccessful attempts the day before. (Anyone know how laundry can multiply so quickly, and how two little ones can bring out so many toys in the flash of an eye?) I seemed to be making much better progress though, and it was nap time when I heard the sound of an airplane buzzing the house. I knew it was Geoff as he had called earlier from his cousin's home/airplane hanger, and laughed to myself that he had confiscated someone's plane for a jaunt.

The kids were so excited... Daddy's flying! So, outside we go to check it out...

I am used to seeing him fly in a J3 Piper Cub (yes, that is where we got Cub's nickname...) or even a Cessna 172 that we sold a year or so ago. The Cub we have now is wingless, waiting to be redone. Geoff sometimes flies his cousin's Piper Cub, but as EJ, Cub and I looked out over the field behind our house I thought the plane looked a bit different. As he came closer and he wagged the wings I knew exactly what it was - an acrobatic plane called a Pitts. He flew over the house, turned around and did a roll and loop.

My heart did the same.

I have so many mixed emotions when I watch him fly like that... a pride so big I can't describe it, a scared so big I can't describe it, and about a million things in between. It's even changed from the excitement and fear I used to have as a 15 year old teenager, standing outside my parents house (across the same field he was flying over yesterday), watching my boyfriend/future husband buzz our house in his Daddy's Cub... but that is because I have grown up with this man, we have many, many years together, and I love him more than ever.

That, along with the fact that we now have children who might want to experience this "craziness" as well. Judging from their excitement and gigantic smiles, I didn't detect any fear in them yesterday... which gives me great pause. It's in their blood - on Geoff's side. Yes, I was a flight attendant for 12 years, but when I fly, I want the plane to "fly straight". I always tell Geoff when he takes my flying "No curves, no bumps, no loops or rolls, no turbulence - thank you very much!"

I have had my share of turbulent flights, strapped and clinging to a jump seat - praying to God as hard as I can for calmer skies ahead...

Come to think of it, I have traded in turbulence in a Delta jet, headed to another city in some far away place for the best ride of all. Motherhood has it's own style of turbulence (laundry, dishes, crying babies, no shower days, unshaved legs, etc.) but its a beautiful life that I am proud to be living. Raising our children is an honor I won't take lightly. The emotions it brings run from a pride so big I can't describe it, to a scared so big I can't describe it - and a million emotions in between.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll stay on the ground with you! No loop-de-loop stuff for this little girl. I like a nice 757 or so!

You're a great momma and have wonderful kids!

Britni said...

I've always wanted to fly in a small plane... but then when I got the chance to it scared me to death. I'd rather sit and eat at Olive Garden any day!