Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Time to Listen

This morning began as most school mornings do... rushed and to the point of just about late. I really hate that feeling, but for some reason no matter what, school mornings go this way. Getting myself and the children dressed, fed and out the door is a major feat for me... I feel like I have accomplished something just getting them to the car seats...

Before children I was a flight attendant, and time was always first and foremost for me. If I was to be at work at 9a.m., I would get there 30 minutes early. I was afraid to be late - who wants a plane full of passengers and crew to watch as you boarded late, knowing you were the slacker who had made them late as well?!

Not me, so I became a fanatic about time. I never left the house without a watch... and going to work without one was unthinkable. As a matter of fact, if it did happen I would just buy one in the airport... after awhile I had back up watches in my carry on bag, just in case.

When we had babies I stopped wearing a watch, and something happened to the fanatical time thing...

This morning I had a MOMS Club monthly meeting to attend after dropping EJ off at Pre-K. Cub always goes with me, and enjoys playing with the other kids. I was going over the introduction for the speaker in my head when Cub began whining... at first it wasn't so much, but he continued to get more upset.

"Mommy, me go home!" he said, or really was demanding. I thought he was just using his new whining technique... he has hit me with it recently. It's the one he learned well from his sister.

"Not today, Bud (one of his MANY nicknames)... we are going to a meeting!" I was hoping if I made it sound like it was "McDonald's fun" he would cease with the incessant whining, and let me think a little.

"NO Mommy, me wanna goooo homeeeeee!" If I had been clued in I would have noted his desperate attempts to tell me something....

"Cub, we can't go home right now.... Mommy has to drop some things off at the bank, get you some breakfast and then we are going to a meeting. Now, that's really enough!"

There! I was sure after being so firm he would now relent and we could continue in "peace"...

I was on the phone, in the line for his breakfast at Chick-Fil-A when I heard something in the back seat... I turned to find my sweet baby boy covered in throw up... (I know, I know... yuck... but there just isn't a good word for that circumstance!)

Not only my sweet little boy, but the car seat, his navy pea coat, his pants, shoes - and yes, his side of the car. Covered. I didn't know he even had that much in him...

And, I felt as bad as he did or worse for not paying attention to his pleas...

Needless to say, I missed the meeting and took him straight home. I gave him a bath, put him in his most comfortable pajamas and took him to his chair in the playroom - He wanted to watch Buzz Lightyear. It's a comfort thing.

"Mommy, sit with me peas... Wanna watch Buzz with me?" he said, holding up his arms. I pretty much just melted... now that I have kids, I can see why when I batted my eyes at my Diddy he would cave. I think EJ gets it already .

So, I sat down in his chair (the overstuffed kind from Pottery Barn Kids - thank goodness it was big enough for us both) and watched Toy Story with him for the millionth time. Maybe the billionth even. Yep, I think it's the billionth...

"I threw up... it come out the hole" he stated, pointing to his paci filled little mouth. He is great at talking around that paci now... and boy do they come up with some funny ways to explain stuff!

"Yes you did, little man... I hope you feel better" I hugged him closer, hating I was too busy to really listen to him earlier, and determined to make it up to him.

I sat and watched that movie, hugging my son and answering his every question... It is now one of my most cherished times with Cub. As many times as I have sat and watched that movie with the kids, I saw it in a new way this morning... We laughed at Slinky Dog and Mr. Potato Head, and yelled at that mean kid when he "operated" on those poor toys in his room. Cub cheered his hero Buzz through it all, and I just loved on my son. I know he won't be 2 forever, but I will never forget this day as long as I live!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

The older they get the harder it is to get them to let you love on them. When they are sick, all they want is Mommy's hugs and kisses. I hate it when they are sick, but I sure do love all the extra love.
Hope he feels better soon.

Lost is tonight. Yippee!